All of my herb bundles for smoke cleansing (see why I don't say smudging) are hand assembled with intention and creativity. Smoke cleansing is a way to clear the air/space around a person, place, thing or just invite new, fresh energy.
What is the history of smoke cleansing? (add link)
Is there any science behind smoke cleansing? (add link)
How do I use an herb bundle (or incense) to smoke cleanse a space?
Safety first!! Burning herb bundles indoors should be done with both care and intention. Always use a fireproof plate, bowl, or other vessel to carry under the herb bundle and catch embers. Do not burn in the presence of a fan, active vent, or breezy open window, as an ember of dried herbs could fly away and ignite your home/office/space. I strongly suggest you keep a glass of water nearby in case of stray sparks. Many people like to fully extinguish their herb bundle in a small bowl of sand. I run mine under the sink and let it dry until next use.
1. Before you start, have all items assembled (herb bundle, fireproof container, lighting medium, small glass of water, sand, if using). Here's why I don't use a seashell (add link) and my thoughts on feathers for this practice (link).
2. Remove label from herb bundle.
3. Set your intention for the smoke cleanse. If you feel comfortable, speak it aloud. Your herb bundle will have a suggested intention on the tag but please be creative and do whatever feels right for you!
4. Stand near an entry way to the room. Light your herb bundle using a candle, match, or lighter.
5. Move through the room, allowing smoke from the herb bundle to ascend and clear the space. Be sure to consider hidden areas, like corners/basements/empty closets, where old energy may accumulate. If you are smoke cleansing a person or object, I suggest starting at the floor and moving up the front, then down the back, all the way to the floor.
5. When done smoke cleansing your area/home, fully extinguish herb bundle in sand, water, or by another sure means.
6. Repeat as often as desired, even daily, until the energetics of your space/intention feel fully grounded.
Burn herb bundles and incense with safety in mind always!!
Herb bundles are NOT intended to consume! Herbal tisanes and blends for drinking are available from your local grocer or farmer’s market, as well as online.
Smoke cleansing is not advised for those sensitive to smoke; with delicate lungs/throat; or a lung/throat health condition such as asthma. Avoid over-exposure to any kind of smoke at all times.
If you have a known allergy/sensitivity to any specific plant, do not use an herb bundle that contains it. Please note that mugwort is in the same botanical family as ragweed.
Herb bundles cannot replace advice or treatment from a medical doctor/nurse, psychologist/therapist/coach, financial adviser, lawyer, or any other professional.
Herb bundles are for recreational use only and not intended to diagnose, treat, or otherwise heal emotional, physical, or mental maladies. The meanings of the plants are from folklore and legend, not affiliated in any way with the documented botanical science/medical uses for herbs. As I make and design herb bundles, these are the energies I have in mind, however some plants have more folkoric/magical associations than what I noted. Use them as it feels best to you.